One major key to running a successful online business is making an action plan.
Figuring out exactly how you’re going to achieve your business goals makes them so much more attainable.
Aside from making the goal more realistic, a plan will also give you the following benefits:
- Focus: Having a plan will make you see your weaknesses and strengths. With these in mind, you would know where to focus your efforts more. What subjects do I have to study? What skills do I need to develop? A plan will make you know what activities to concentrate on. By focusing on the right things, you become more productive as you work towards your goals.
- Strategy: When you make a plan, you get to research and analyze different possible scenarios. You can’t see the future but you can definitely anticipate certain events. When your road to success leads you to one situation or another, you should be ready with a fallback plan to rely on. This way, you won’t get easily discouraged when you find an obstacle blocking your path. With your backup plans available, you won’t fall victim to negativity and will always see a way to progress.
- Clarity: A plan will tell you specifics—what, when, where, why, how, who. Having a clear plan of action will give you the confidence that this is really happening. You are going to get to your goal! Specifics will give you a sense of reality. It can actually be done.
- Starting Point: This is probably the most important benefit of a plan—giving you a place to start. Most people fail at their goals because they don’t start working on it. They think “I can always start tomorrow” or “There are so many things to do, I wouldn’t know where to start.” Creating a plan will make you get rid of these ‘roadblocks’. When you determine a clear starting point, you want to jump on it as soon as possible. You’re excited because you know where to start and you know that from this point on, you’re prepared whatever happens.
- Accountability: Think of your written plan as a binding contract of commitment. You already have a plan; all you have to do is act on it. It would be a crime not to do anything about a well-thought-out plan. It is your duty to perform your plan of action. Check on it every day and track your progress.
With all of these advantages in mind, make a plan now. Why have a plan when you can just go ahead and do it? Well, planning is not a waste of time. Acting without thought and direction? Now that’s a waste of time.
In the end, planning will help you make efficient use of your time and efforts.
So start making a plan now, it will serve as your road map to success.
With a map, it is always so much easier to get to where you want to be.
PS: If you find you have trouble sticking to your goals once you have set them, or have difficulty in taking action, you should definitely check out ‘The Action Machine’ which has a simple 3-step process to help you achieve clarity and become strongly motivated.